I have to admit, I’m not too fond of making sympathy cards (I’m sure I’m not alone in this), not only because of the reason behind making one but also the challenge of designing one. In my mind, it has to be Clean & Simple using subtle colors. I thought I’d challenge myself with this task and participate in the June 2019 challengeover at A Blog named Hero
For this card, I used the Color Layering Dragonfly stamp set from Hero Arts. Dragonflies in real life have this almost holographic sheen to them, their wings and their bodies. To achieve this, I decided to use vellum and Holographic embossing powder.
I began by stamping the outline of the Dragonfly body in Versamark Ink, masking off the wings. I used black embossing powder for the body. Then I heat set it. Next, I stamped the wings again in Versamark Ink and heat embossed it with silver embossing powder. Now for the fun part, I used the solid stamp of the wings and embossed on top of the silver embossing powder using Holographic Embossing powder from Ranger. If you do not have Holographic Embossing powder, you could try using another type of embossing powder with glitter. After heat setting it, I did two more rounds to make sure the wings had a little dimension to them. Then I also stamped the body using the same holographic embossing powder.
I wanted to layer the dragonfly so I repeated the same steps for the second dragonfly skipping the black embossing powder.
To make it look more like a dragonfly, I colored the back of the vellum insects using B24, YG09 & RV09. Then I fussy cut them because I wanted to cut them close to the edge of the embossing.
I glued the Dragonfly with the black body on top of the silver one. I glued only their bodies together so that the wings are multi-dimensional.
For the background, I used the Hero Arts Deco Flourish Bold print background stamp and silver heat embossed it onto a very light blue cardstock. Then I trimmed down the panel. But before I matted it with silver mirror cardstock, I silver heat embossed the “with sympathy” sentiment also from the Dragonfly stamp set, onto a strip of vellum. I placed it on top of the background before securing it down to the mirror cardstock.
Then I glued the Dragonfly’s body on top of the vellum, leaving the “tail” and wings unsecured to make it look like the Dragonfly landed on the card.
I just love the way the Dragonfly turned out! It looks almost real! The photos don’t do it justice.
Anyway, I hope you are inspired to give this a try.
‘Til next time!
Disclaimer: I am affiliated with some online stores including Altenew, Concord & 9th and Hero Arts. If you use any of the links above, I get a small commission from these wonderful shops at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support!