Hi everyone! If you have come from the lovely Bory, then you are in the right place! It’s that time of the month when my squirrel sisters and I hop along and inspire you with our creations using those items in our stash that we’ve squirreled away! Our theme this month is watercolors and flowers. That’s right up my alley!!
I am breaking out two watercolors mediums from my stash that I haven’t used in a really long time! And when I say a long time, I mean a really looooong time! Well, one of them I did use when I started watercoloring 4 years ago and the other, I used only once! I figured I might as well use it — or lose it!
CHOOSING YOUR STAMPS
In order to achieve the loose watercoloring look, it’s important to choose the type of stamps. If you have floral layering stamps in your stash, chances are you have the right ones! Stamps with just the right amount of open space is perfect for this technique. The ones that don’t work too well are the solid stamps with no clear definitions or outline stamps.
If you would like to see the process of how I turned these stamps into beautiful watercolor cards, you can check my video linked below. While you are there, it would be great if you could subscribe as well!
I used my Gansai tambi Watercolor pan set for my first card. I have had this in my stash for many years and have just recently rediscovered it. This watercolor has a consistency that is perfect for this technique. The stamp set I am using is Beautiful Day from Altenew.
I mounted my floral stamps onto acrylic blocks. I took a wet paintbrush and brought it to the paint to activate the pigment. I used the darkest color, a sort of red orange and painted it onto the middle of the flower stamp. Then I took the medium color, a bright orange, and painted it next to the dark orange. For the outer petals, I used bright yellow. I made sure to mix it a little to soften the transition between colors.
Then I took the spray bottle and sprayed it once. The fine mist activated the colors and help blend in the colors. I stamped it down and let it sit there for a couple of seconds before lifting it up. This allowed the paper to absorb the paint. Then I repeated the same process for the second flower.
For the leaves, I used the lighter green and painted it on the upper part of the leaf cluster. The reason I didn’t paint on all the leaves is that I didn’t want it to bleed on to the flowers. I added darker green here and there for some color variation.
Then I stamped it onto the area between the two flowers. I did the same for the other side.
Then I sprayed more water onto the leftover pigment in the leaves stamp and stamped it down in the areas where I felt needed more foliage. I took I diluted some paint onto my mat and splattered it all over the card panel to give it more of a hand painted look and feel.
For my next card, I busted out my Faber Castell Gelatos. I think I bought them years ago on sale, used them once and then I stashed them away. The stamp set I am using is the So Happy for You stamp set from Concord & 9th.
The technique is very similar to the watercolor technique above except that I scribbled the gelatos straight to the surface of the stamp. I made sure I sprayed it two or three times to activate the pigment before I stamped it onto the paper.
After using the leftover pigment on the stamp to splatter all over the panel, I stamped the word “Thank You” with Altenew Obsidian Ink. The sentiment if from the Many Thanks stamp set by Altenew.
For my third and final card, I used my all-time favorite, Metallic watercolors also by Altenew. This time I created a monochromatic card using Sterling Silver paint on navy cardstock. The stamp set I used is the Exotic Tulips stamp set by Altenew.
I took my wet brush and applied the silver paint on to one of the tulip stamps. I then stamp it on the card panel but this time I did not leave the stamp on the paper. Since I am not using watercolor paper, I did not want it to warp. And also because its not watercolor paper, the impression was not so distinct but that was easily fixed. I used that impression to paint in the details.
I took the other tulip stamp and repeated the process. This time I stamped it right below the other tulip. I just painted in all the little details following the impression that was on the stamp.Then I took the stem and applied paint and stamped it onto the flowers.
I wanted the tulip bud to be behind the two flowers so I applied paint only to the top half of the stamp. Then stamped it on above the flower. Then painted the bottom part of the stem and stamped it. The impression was not perfect so I fixed it by applying more paint. I did the same process for the leaves.
To give it a more handpainted feel, I splattered paint onto the card panel.
To finish off my card, I added a die-cut “Thanks” sentiment from silver mirror cardstock for a more elegant look. This sentiment is Fancy Thanks by Altenew.
Next stop, is the fabulous, V!
‘Til next time!
Note: I am affiliated with some online stores including Altenew, Hero Arts, Brutus Monroe, Concord & 9th and Trinity Stamps. If you use any of the links above, I get a small commission from these wonderful shops at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support!